Sunday, July 02, 2006

Have the Faith of a Child

Today's (July 2) Gospel reading at Mass (Mk 5:21-43) was about the Faith of the woman afflicted with hemorrhages for 12 years and the Faith of a synagogue official Jairus whose daughter was at the point of death. In both cases our Lord Jesus Christ showed his mercy and love to those who have faith in him. The woman was healed upon touching Jesus' clothing, because she knew that if she could only touch his cloak, she would be healed. She was indeed healed, even without asking. God already knew her desires and her faith. Christ said to her, "Daughter, your faith has saved you. Go in peace and be cured of your affliction."

We have been taught to have the faith of a child, and we too will be saved, and our prayers answered. This was brought home to me a few weeks ago, when my 3+ year old son asked me to open a Thomas the Train packaged in one of those nearly impossible to open plastic things. I had gotten several of these packages for Christopher recently, and the only way I could open them was with scissors. That day, we were riding the train in Old Sacramento, and I did not have scissors or any sharp object with me. Christopher knew, and he had faith in me, his father, that I could indeed open that package. "Open it Daddy...I know you can." He said it with such confidence and faith that I had to find a way to open the package. I found a secret little opening in the bottom of the package and was able to open the package to the delight, but not surprise of my son.

I learned a lot about faith that day. I really tried to have that kinda faith and use it in my prayers as I prepared to ask Christopher's mom to marry me four weeks ago. I just knew she would say "yes" because of my child-like faith and prayers in the matter. Before that day arrived, I also had a realization that God may not answer my prayers the way I expected, even with my prayers and faith. I knew that even if my own son asked with the faith and confidence he had with the train, to allow or give him something that I knew was not good or right for him...even with his faith in me and God, I would not allow him to have such a thing.

I know that is the way God works. He will always answer our prayers. The answer just might not be the answer we want, but it will always be the answer that is best for us...if we have the faith of a child or of the hemorrhage afflicted woman in today's Gospel reading.

May God grant us the faith of a child, may we be saved from our afflictions and our sins forgiven. In Jesus' name...Amen.

No comments: